As temperatures start to head towards freezing at this time of year we often dig out warm jumpers and coats, but we seem to overlook that our vehicles need care and attention during the winter months.
Fleet UK recommends getting a free winter car check, not only because the weather is getting colder and the road conditions become more hazardous but also because the number of breakdowns at this time of year can increase. Halfords offer a free five point check and their mechanics look out for:
• The health of your battery
• Your headlights and brake lights
• The condition of your wiper blades
• The condition of your windscreen
• Your MOT due date
KwikFit also offer free winter checks and they look out for:
• Condition of your tyres including the tread depth and pressure
• Test the battery
• Check the coolant/anti-freeze levels
• Check wiper blades
• Operation of windscreen wash system
Why is a winter car check important?
• The last thing you want is to breakdown at this time of year and a battery failure is one of the most common reasons why people call out a breakdown service.
• Last year a study by Halfords found that 4.6 million cars in the UK have broken or defective headlights. Shockingly, around 7% of drivers admitted in the survey to never checking that their lights are in working order. Not only is it dangerous to drive with broken or faulty lights, it’s also illegal. Take a brake faulty brake light for example. If you get pulled over by the police you might receive a verbal warning or be issued with a ‘vehicle defect rectification notice’ which means you have 14 days from the date of notice to show the proof to police that the issue has been fixed. Alternatively, you might also receive a fixed penalty notice with a £60 fine and three points on your licence.
• Engine-related breakdowns are commonly related to the vehicle’s cooling system. Having antifreeze added to the water in a vehicle’s radiator helps prevent it from seizing up and causing unwanted issues.
Download Fleet UK's checklist for what to inspect your vehicle for during the winter months.
For more useful tips for winter motoring visit our blog on the “10 essential items to prepare a winter kit for your car” via https://www.fleetuk.com/news/10-essential-items-to-prepare-a-winter-kit-for-your-car.
Need help with buying or leasing a new vehicle? Call Fleet UK on 02392 245572 or email email@example.com and you will be provided with a dedicated account manager who will help source the right vehicle for your needs.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone : 02392 245572
Company Address :
7 Stratfield Park
Fleet UK are a credit broker and not a lender, we are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered No : 682714
Registered in England & Wales with company number : 4018111 | Data Protection No : Z6393738 | VAT No : 755080825
Registered Office : 7 Stratfield Park, Elettra Avenue, Waterlooville, Hampshire PO7 7XN
Disclaimer: All vehicle images and descriptions are for illustration and reference purposes only, all vehicle leases are subject to credit approval and subject to change at any time. E&OE.
Copyright © 2021 Fleet UK, All rights reserved.
Powered by CALAS